LitLangGroup1011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter Nine: Forgiveness

2 posters

Go down

Chapter Nine: Forgiveness Empty Chapter Nine: Forgiveness

Post  PAA Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:04 am

Studying the theme of forgiveness within chapter nine of The Kite Runner, including quotes from Amir's narrative, and dialogue within the chapter.

The first thing that catches my attention, is the repetition of the word 'waiting' three times in the sixth paragraph on page 90; "I waited in my room", "Waited for him" and "...and waited until". This is when Amir is patiently delaying the point when he is going to go through with the task of framing Hassan, and could show that he is almost like a hunter - not moving whilst he waits for the opportune moment in which to strike. The repetition may be because of the lack of synonyms for the word 'Waiting' but it could also be to emphasise that Amir is so dead-set on going through with what he is about to do that he is incredibly patient.

Also, on page 90, the use of the use of the verb 'tiptoed' to describe Amir's movement shows that he is being secretive and quiet instead of if it had just been 'walked' which gives no real feeling, or specific movement to his gait. The three sentences that end the paragraph - "I paused before Baba's study and listened in. He'd been in there all morning, making phone calls. He was talking to someone now, about a shipment of rugs due to arrive next week." - show Amir checking that he will not be caught, or found out by Baba. The use of short sentences furthers the feeling of a tense atmosphere in this part of the book, combined with Amir sneaking around as he puts his plan into action to completely destroy any relationship he still had with Hassan.

The top of page 91 uses the word "Planted" instead of another verb such as 'Placed' or, 'put' or, 'left' gives a sense of it being a negative verb with foul intent on Amir's part. It usually inspires other sentences such as 'Planted evidence,' and is therefore usually used when referring to crime, or framing someone for a crime. Any other similar verb would not have given the same impression, and so would probably not be as relevant to that section of the chapter which is all about Amir framing Hassan.

The line "Then I knocked on Baba's door and told what I hoped would be the last in a long line of shameful lies." suggests how much Amir wants to completely sever any connection that he has to Hassan who keeps forgiving him, and being loyal. The use of the adjective 'shameful' really shows how much guilt that Amir feels for lying so much to both his father, and Hassan. This is because even though Hassan is known to be able to read Amir's emotions, Amir has still not completely told Hassan that he was there when he was raped. It is clear that Hassan is still loyal, from parts of earlier chapters such as "He opened it and crushed it against his own forehead. 'There,' he croaked, red dripping down his face like blood. 'Are you satisfied? Do you feel better?' He turned around, and started down the hill." on page 80. To begin with, the red of the pomegranate juice not only symbolises blood and betrayal, but is even referred to as blood as it runs down Hassan's face. The whole situation also reflects that Hassan would obviously rather hurt himself than give into Amir's commands to hurt him - showing how loyal Hassan still is, even after earlier events.
This is not what Amir wants at all; he wants to be punished for not doing something when Hassan was violated. Being practically forgiven and adored by Hassan simply angers him.

The next two paragraphs describe how Amir is watching Baba confronting Ali, who then returns to his and Hassan's living area. The fact that no tension is described when Amir is sat for thirty minutes in Baba's study could reflect that he feels no emotions toward what he had just done to Hassan and indirectly to Ali.

There is a lot of support between Ali and Hassan shown by them holding hands. In the sixth paragraph of page 91 there is the line "I wondered how and when I'd become capable of causing this kind of pain." which evidently shows how Amir is beginning to notice how he is becoming cruel, and almost menacing in the way that he has caused two people who used to be close friends extreme pain by means of betrayal and unkindness. This self awareness does not, however, come with any emotion that could be linked to shame, or guilt; suggesting that Amir is impassive to the feelings of Ali and Hassan at this moment in time.

"I flinched, like I'd been slapped." This imagery gives a clear impression of Amir's reaction to Hassan's false confession, and the combined shock at hearing the one important word "Yes." The following paragraph almost hints at sadness when Amir realises that Hassan is still loyal and still sacrificing himself for Amir's sake. For the reader, this is almost heartbreaking; that Hassan still doesn't want to get Amir into trouble, that he still cares about him and seems to have forgiven Amir for his past wrong-doing. It is even said, with the words "He knew I'd seen everything in that alley," that Hassan knows that Amir saw. More importantly, it shows that Hassan has forgiven Amir.

-UNFINISHED-

PAA

Back to top Go down

Chapter Nine: Forgiveness Empty Re: Chapter Nine: Forgiveness

Post  Admin Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:04 am

The detail of your answer shows that you have read this section of the text closely and know how to engage with key elements of the author's characterisation. A good effort.

Aims:

this still reads too much like a literary answer. Whilst you do mention verbs and adjectives and sentence types there is not enough mention of the linguistic terminology that will get you the required marks. For example, adjectives become modifiers. Keep revising them, and your understanding of the text will be well applied.

Admin
Admin

http://llg1011.freeforumshosting.org

Back to top Go down